From Die2Nite Wiki
The Town is definitely the most important place in the world of Die2Nite. Little more than a collection of ramshackle buildings in the middle of nowhere, the town serves as your only shelter against the inclement desert and the hordes of zombies that roam around it. Needless to say, zombies will be attracted to it like moths to a flame, so you'd better be prepared to defend it. As long as it's possible...
Every town contains all these buildings:
All towns that exist in the game are independent from each other and can't interact between them. Every town has an unique, randomly generated name, its own set of forums, an unique map of the desert around it and will start when 40 citizens arrive to it. There are several types of towns, each with its own rules and difficulty.
Local towns are towns made specifically for newbies. They are made to be easier than other kinds of towns. The maps of the desert are smaller. Additionally, their attack estimation is programmed such that right after the zombie attack, there will be an estimation already.
Players with less than 100 Soul Points will automatically arrive to a Local town when selecting a random town. Residents with more than 100 SP cannot go to a local town by selecting a random town. Heroes can manually select and join any kind of town.
Distant towns are the average type of town. It does not have any pre-built buildings or constructions, but doesn't face the penalties of Hardcore towns.
- This kind of town has a larger map than the Local towns - from 23x23 to 27x27.
- You can attack other citizens in this kind of town for 5 to leave them Wounded. Your target must be with you in town or in the same zone of the desert.
- There are uncovered blueprints on random zones in the World Beyond: 5 rare + 2 very rare.
Players with less than 100 SP cannot join a random Distant town. Players with 100 SP always arrive to a Distant town by selecting a random town. Heroes can manually select and join any kind of town.
Hardcore towns are similar to Distant regions, with a few differences that make them harder. Unlike Distant region towns and Local towns, only one Hardcore town is available at the selection menu for citizens to join. Once 40 citizens fill it, a new Hardcore town will be created.
Unlike Distant regions, in a hardcore town:
- When the zombie attacks, they will inflict damage on the town's buildings which will need to be repaired regularly.
- Defensive constructions are less effective when they are damaged.
- Defensive objects in the bank can be destroyed during the attack.
- The chances of survival while camping are reduced.
- The chances of dying from an infection at 23h00 (server time) are 75%.
- Initial water reserves are inferior to those of normal towns.
- The functionality of some external sites in the directory is restricted:
- Zone information is no longer shown, manual updates are required.
- The town's defense is no longer provided in the XML feed.
- The zombie estimation is also no longer given.
- The Last Man Standing will receive twice as many hero days as well as an additional reward!
- Attacking another citizen has a higher chance of inflicting a wound.
100 Soul points are required to be able to select a Hardcore town. Once a player achieves 100 Soul points, they get the option "Let me in! I'm Hardcore! which directs them to the Hardcore town available at that moment.