From Die2Nite Wiki
|A harmless ball of sand (with some gravel for good measure) which you are just itching to launch into another citizen's face. You have no idea where this bizarre craving came from.|
|Sub Category||Miscellaneous items|
Quote from the news transmission on Die2Nite.com in 2010 (minus irrelevant text about buying Hero status):
- "Snowball Fight!!! Except there's no snow. Just sand. (on Fri 24 Dec 2010, at 11:50)
- My dearest friends destined for an excruciating death,
- It's a bit harsh, but when you live in a post-apocalyptic world, you've got to be content with what you've got. What I'm trying to say is that Yule logs, egg nog, Christmas stockings and sexy satin Mrs Claus costumes are pretty scarce commodities, so you'd best just forget about them! So just for a change, this year, you're going to eat sand! And if you really need decorations, try making garlands from your neighbour's intestines as a cost-effective alternative to tinsel...
- Cold, harsh greetings..."
The complete news transmission on Die2Nite.com in 2011:
- "Miserable Holidays One and All! (on Fri 23 Dec 2011, at 18:14)
- If you're quite finished dying every 5 minutes, we have something to say.
- Snowball fights are for wussies! Sandballs are for the hardcore!
- Game On!"
Despite the wording in the last transmission, sand balls could be found in any town. The new feature had turned out to be them causing Mutilations in Hardcore towns. As of 4th of February, on Saturday, after more than a month of availability, sand balls have been finally reported to be not operational; they did not disappear if were found prior, however, but using them on other residents yielded no results desired. Elder citizens who remember the Christmas in 2010 state that the sand ball life span used to be not as long as in 2011.
- Undepleted zones (Only during the Christmas festivities).
- Sand balls can be thrown at other citizens. In normal towns there is no effect but the fun it may produce, although in Hardcore towns there is a very high chance of leaving the target Wounded. It is confirmed it can not be used as a weapon.
- They can only be thrown in the World Beyond, not in town or right outside the Town Gates.
- When a citizen throws a sand ball at someone a message will appear in the register:
- [Resident] has thrown a sand ball right into [Resident]'s face!
- [Resident] has wounded [Resident] with his nasty sand ball. Ouch, that hurt...! (only in Hardcore towns)
- Hitting another citizen with a sand ball will generate rare Sand Balls! distinctions. The player does not need to die in the town (during the first five days) to acquire the distinction.
- After hitting someone with a sand ball, there will be a 30 minutes restriction before being able to throw another at the same person. If all citizens in an area have been hit no more sand balls can be thrown until the restriction ends.