Die2Nite Wiki:Wiki discussion
From Die2Nite Wiki
Please use this project page to discuss wiki wide issues including other wiki projects such as Die2Nite Wiki:Spading.
Sorry i've been gone awhile and unable to help, should have left a heads up as I was holding back the flood then disappeared on holiday... Thanks Mazt, Mespia, Techsmurf and any new admins for cleaning up the mess. We still need some automated defence if anyone has any experience with anti-spam bots or catapchas? Discordance 02:23, 20 July 2011 (PDT)
- As of today catapcha's are in place, they should only fire on account creation, bad login, and inserting external links. They are simple questions relating to the game that anyone who has played the game for a short time should be able to answer or at least look up on the wiki. Administrators are immune, and most current users will never see them. Report any problems or ambiguous questions here as well as any spam that defeats it. Please do not post complete question and answer pairs without reason its best not to make them too available. Discordance 10:34, 1 August 2011 (PDT)
I will help setup new pages and deal with data when this all goes up, expect mass edits in about 3 and a half hours for the next week or so. Discordance 02:26, 20 July 2011 (PDT)
- Thank you to chessmc, iceeagle, isaaclw and everyone else who has pitched in for season 3 updates/fixing all the building pages generally.Discordance 06:07, 1 August 2011 (PDT)
New main page, missing articles
I've redone the main page with a more wikipedia feel to it, if someone wants to try a colour scheme with a more die2nite feel to it have a go with the draft at Main Page/draft. You can edit most of the content templates that are found in Category:Main page templates, did you know needs some work to make it more interesting, and the news and updates will need to be kept updated.
I also revamped the main topics section and listed topics we don't have yet. Please add these when you can, although theres still lots to do in buildings and even tidying up items still and adding pages for things like ruins, distinctions, deaths, etc. A lot of the articles linked from the front page that are already there need work too. Discordance 11:22, 30 August 2011 (PDT)
- I still think the main page could still use some more fixing up. Like sister projects might be able to be moved to the left panel and/or on its own page. The Did you know? and Wiki Mysteries could be built together to pull a random fact from a "Trivia" section on the bottom of each page. Wiki Example: TF2 Wiki. The staff could probably be filed under the 'Wiki' and Suggestions could be filed under 'Concepts' maybe with a Die2Nite Metainline gif. I just think the main page feels a bit crowded is all. Any objections or other suggestions?--Starclaws 18:16, 12 April 2012 (PDT)
- I have plans for this, but this will come after we've settled into the new season. Mazt 18:30, 12 April 2012 (PDT)
New metadata, template fixing
I finally implemented and setup the skills metadata, and made a start on metadata for ruins. See Talk:Ruins for info. I've tried a new table for ruins which pulls all the table info from the individual meta pages, if this works out on ruins and doesn't melt the wiki eventually buildings and other pages will benefit from a similar table removing most of the maintenance from table pages like Construction Sites as everything will be stored in metadata.
Okay so I'vae received a message lately from discordance and I wondered how I could send a message. I have some things I'd like admins to give a look and i,d like some help on some things. Kinda new to wiki here, so I'm doing minor things. But it would help knowing a bit more. Oh, and is this the only way to talk?
Also, is there a template for give this a look or something like that. Sometimes you complete a todo, but you have to place another todo, like for the jobs page I did just now, so are these todos told about anywhere?
Binks92, 3:29, 1 October, 2011.
- To message someone simply go to their Userpage (i.e. User:Mazt). Then go to the talk page and simply edit the page to post something. Next time that user logs in, they will see a notification that they have a message. This is currently the only way to talk, although I may look to open something up in the near future. Also, If you go to the Die2Nite Wiki:Todo page, and all pages marked with a 'todo' template are listed in Category:Todo. Feel free to message me or Discordance if you have any more questions, or if you have something in particular you need help with. --Mazt 06:02, 1 October 2011 (PDT)
Lol, I've done so much work so far I filled up the entire recent changes page...XD I've sent my questions to mazt, but if anyone who can answer me before him reads this...go to his page and read them. Thanks a lot, I hope my hard work is appreciated.
Gotta go sleep now...freakin tired
--Binks92 01:33, 06 October 2011, (PDT)
It is appreciated, hopefully i've answered your current questions and sorted problems on your talk page. It can take me awhile to review all the latest edits and respond to messages so matz is probably your best bet for a quick response. I am always around though and will reply eventually. Discordance 13:06, 9 October 2011 (PDT)
I'm a bit busy today so not going to be able to help much, thankfully though it usually takes a couple of days for the edits to flood in and this update should be relatively small. There are some balance changes to construction sites and some bug fixes, and an upgrade to scavengers. The new content is the technician job which should be relatively trivial to document quickly, and the abandoned buildings.
Abandoned buildings are the most significant part of the update but as I understand it they are simply randomly generated structures inside you can map. There are zombies that block your path and you have 0 CP. There are doors hiding objects, some of which are locked and technicians can provide keys for that, there is an oxygen gauge and its probably possible to suffocate inside. Discordance 04:29, 15 November 2011 (PST)
- Thank God, I thought you disappeared :P A few pages will probably need updating, Construction Sites will likely need to be rechecked, but other than that the main focus should be on our upgrades. Most spading projects should be the same as they were in Season 3, so no need to start everything over again. Should be a relatively easy transition, then back to the old work. Mazt 13:46, 15 November 2011 (PST)
- Tables, tables for everything :/. At least for searchtower and factory, and I've been having problems just finding one of them bleh. Discordance 20:29, 15 November 2011 (PST)
Become Official Wiki Again?
Basically this should become the official wiki again if you guys can work out getting the hosting on their servers and removing the ads. This game really does need an official wiki. I mentioned it to them on twitter. --Starclaws 06:55, 29 March 2012 (PDT)
- Well, I'm no moderator/administrator, but that sounds like a good idea. Now we just have to wait for someone with authority to wander across this page...--Nickyh 07:21, 29 March 2012 (PDT)
Season 5 Discussion
I started the stubs for Shaman, Voodoo Mask, Data:Shaman, Data:Voodoo Mask, etc... and added them to the template. Make sure its all correct. Still need info/images of the Blue/Red Souls. Then its just a matter of filling in the wording and such. --Starclaws 17:14, 12 April 2012 (PDT)